Thursday, September 30, 2010

We Love Someone Who Is Different.... In Theory

I do not shut the bathroom door. It's just easier that way. Really. I swear. OK, OK, I admit it. I am deathly afraid of slipping and falling and being stuck in the bathroom. Don't judge. I am sure you have something silly like that too.
Anyway, they are doing a 25 year anniversary edition of Beauty and the Beast. We can get into how old that makes me feel at some other post. Plus, the theater troupe I sometimes stage manage is doing a staging of the Broadway musical. During my door-wide-open interlude today, a commercial for the DVD re-release came on the TV in the living room, and it got me thinking. We love stories and movies about the outsider, the person who doesn't fit in. We spend the whole book or two hours in the theater rooting for their success. Yet, in real life, how often do we do that? I think most of us would be one of the villagers who think Belle is weird and doesn't fit in. We wouldn't really take the time to get to know her and definitely wouldn't try and look at the world from the outsider's point of view.
It was one of my favorite things as a teacher, to befriend the goof ball. They always made the day more interesting.
I don't think I am as tolerant of adults in this way. It is something I would like to work on. Good thing there are a lot of weirdos at the library on which to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment